Grilled Banana and Pineapple with Rum and Pistachios
Tropical flavors take center stage in this dessert, combined with crunchy, candied nuts and cool, creamy ice cream or frozen yogurt for a truly delicious treat.
1/2 fresh, ripe pineapple
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. rum
1 Tbsp. no trans fat margarine
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 cup shelled pistachios
2 cups lite vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Peel, core, and slice pineapple into rounds or spears.
- Melt margarine in small bowl in microwave for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar and rum, mix well.
- Add pineapple and banana to 9×13 dish, add sugar mixture and mix well. Careful not to break the banana.
- In a small, dry sautée pan, add the pistachios and the sugar. Cook over medium heat until sugar is melted and the nuts have candied.
- Just before serving, grill pineapple and banana over medium-high heat until golden brown on each side, and serve with lite vanilla frozen yogurt or ice cream. Top with the candied pistachios.
Note: Be sure grill is clean before adding pineapple so flavors of fish etc. are not imparted to fruit.
Calories per serving: 320
Calorie equivalent: 1 ½ fruits, 1 carbohydrate, ½ fat
Recipe courtesy California Health and Longevity Institute.
Grill pineapple on the BBQ or in your oven with this great recipe from Chef Paulette Lambert, RD,CDE, Director of Nutrition at CHLI.